Corporate sustainability is not for the weak of heart. In fact, making the switch to energy efficiency does take a certain amount of commitment to the project and its future benefits. But, that doesn’t mean it’s not possible.
Here is a simple, straightforward and effective approach, developed by Yudelson Associates, to create corporate sustainability in your business.
1. Setting the Vision: where do you want sustainability to take your company?
2. The Task Force: develop a group that will work to make that vision happen.
3. Examining Green Options: what should your company do?
4. Adopting Sustainability Initiatives: make choices and move forward.
5. Staffing the Green Initiative: who’s going to do the work? Often, someone needs to be hired.
6. Internal Education and Training: a commitment to educating and training the staff is key.
7. Green Building: long-term sustainability can be dependent on your building, and should be reworked so that green becomes the norm.
8. Green Operations: the property management side can include negotiating recycling contracts, investments on property, and conducting a host of other activities.
9. Communications: effective communication is key in telling the story of your green initiatives.
10. Continuous Improvement: “ongoing corporate sustainability is about continuous improvement, using environmental and energy metrics.”
Corporate sustainability is a long-term commitment. And while there is plenty of work involved, with the right vision, projects, and partners any company can appreciate the rewards and benefits.