The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) recently released a list of top 10 ways commercial real estate professionals can make energy efficiency and sustainability a priority.
1. Measure and manage. Benchmark energy and water consumption through Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
2. Audit yourself. Perform regular energy audits to identify opportunities for cost-effective energy reductions. Remember to perform midnight evaluations to make sure lighting and HVAC are not running when the building is unoccupied.
3. Get the word out. Institute a tenant energy awareness program, using your company newsletter and/or building announcements to keep tenants informed about energy management goals and how they can help. Provide them with energy saving tips.
4. Become enlightened. Replace incandescent lights, which uses less energy, have a longer lamp life and produce less heat.
5. Go low flow. Install low-flow/flush fixtures and hands-free fixtures in restrooms.
6. Don’t forget electronics. Hold an e-waste day and collect old printers, computers, and electronics for recycling.
7. Use sensors. Install occupancy sensors and photo sensors that monitor daylight. Occupancy sensors also work for HVAC controls.
8. Be shady. Install solar shades to block heat.
9. Encourage eco-friendly transportation. Install bicycle racks and electronic vehicle chargers/
10. Improve IAQ. Use high-efficiency HVAC filters and change them often. Use low-VOC paints, sealants, and adhesives for building improvements.
Source: Energy Manager Today
By Gaylen Davenport