Energy management and reducing energy is a goal for any business, especially when utility rates continue to climb. So here are ten tips for better energy management to help your business cut its energy use.
- Engage objective experts: working with objective experts often yields the best results because they have no immediate stake in the results.
- Set goals: a must in any business plan
- Benchmark: use external benchmarking resources from EPA Energy Star to identify opportunities and best practices that are shared globally.
- Invest in energy efficiency: when considering an efficiency project such as lighting retrofits, it’s important to prioritize them based on return on investment and successful implementation.
- Monitor: monitoring energy and lighting use is an efficient way to reduce energy use
- Measure performance
- Involve and reward employees
- Share best practices throughout your organization: reducing consumption is a global team effort and requires collaboration from all levels. If one part of your business is efficient, it’s easy to expand to the rest of your organization.
- Be transparent: let your customers know about your efficiency projects because many consumers consider a company’s practices before making a buying decision.